HOME

THE PROJECT



INSULA V 1



POMPEII REVIVED



MEMBER'S FORUM



STAFF & ANNUAL
FIELDWORK


PUBLICATIONS

LINKS

ACKNOW-
LEDGEMENTS


V 1,7 Casa del Torello, Room h1
Thomas Staub Page updated: 2017-02-18
DESCRIPTION
Corridor h1 connects the peristyle with the working area in the north-western parts of the house and the small bathing suite nearby. Just as the other rooms in this part of the house the corridor is part of the enlargement of the Casa del Torello in iulian-claudian times. The corridor seems to have been divided into two parts: the first one is the easternmost part (approx. 3.2 m long), visible from the peristyle, with its two wide doorways opening up towards the south and north into the prestigious rooms f and g. It obviously formed a more “noble” part of the corridor with the same cocciopesto pavement as in the peristyle. The western part is more directly related to the economic quarters and the smaller serving entrance towards cenatio g. Here the floor shows a simple greyish lime cement paving. Remains of a stuccoed, simple epistyle at a height of approx. 4 m indicate that the corridor must have been at least partly decorated. At 4.2 m a row of beam holes is visible in the best preserved western parts of the northern wall, indicating that it was a very high corridor.
The door frames towards the peristyle are constructed of smaller Sarno stone blocks (max. 0.4 m x 0.4 m), whereas the frames of the doors in the rear part, towards the rear entrance of room g and towards rooms i, l and corridor h², are made of tuffeli and small Sarno stone blocks with an average dimension of 0.15 m x 0.1 m. The same material is generally used for the door frames in this part of the house, as well as in the western and northern part of the smaller entity V 1,3. The walls are once more built of a mixed incertum in a yellowish mortar.
The north-western section of the house was in its last stage reached only by corridor h1, leading from the peristyle towards the west, and the distributor room h, while earlier it was also reached from the south by means of Domus V 1,3.


Maximera MEASUREMENTS
Dimensions: 7.30 - 7.35 m x 1.10 - 1.25 m = 8.63 m²

Maximera EXCAVATIONS
This area of the house was part of the absolute first excavations carried out in Pompeii during April 1748 (Fiorelli 1875, p.419 and plans by La Vega 1810 and Giosué Russo 1817), soon thereafter reburied and re-excavated probably sometimes between 1876 and 1878, not documented.
Photo/drawing:
Henrik Boman
Photo/drawing:
Thomas Staub
NAVIGATE
DOCUMENTATION & ANALYSIS
V 1,1.32 Taberna
V 1,2 Taberna
V 1,3 House
V 1,4 Tinctoria
V 1,5 Tinctoria
V 1,6 Taberna
V 1,7 Casa del Torello
Facade
Facade east side
Room 01 (vestibulum)
Room 02
Room 03 (fauces)
Room 04 (atrium)
Room 05
Room 06
Room 07
Room 08
Room 09 (ala)
Room 10
Room 11
Room 12
Room 13 (tablinum)
Room 14 (ala)
Room 15
Room 16
Room 17
Room 18 (triclinium)
Room 19 (private baths)
Room 20 (private baths)
Room a
Room b (cantina)
Room b (peristyle)
Room c
Room d
Room e
Room f
Room g
Room h
Room h1
Structures
N wall
E wall
S wall
W wall
Floor
Features
Threshold
Room h2
Room i
Room k
Room l (culina)
V 1,8 Taberna
V 1,13 Caupona
V 1,14-16 Bakery
V 1,17 Taberna
V 1,18 Casa degli Epigrammi
    greci

V 1,19 Taberna
V 1,20-21 Taberna
V 1,22 Taberna
V 1,23 Casa di Caecilius
    Iucundus - North House

V 1,24 Taberna
V 1,25 Taberna
V 1,26 Casa di Caecilius
    Iucundus - South House

V 1,27 Taberna
V 1,28 Casa di Tofelanus
    Valens

V 1,29 Taberna
V 1,30 Taberna
V 1,31 Taberna
Facade - Via del Vesuvio
Facade - Via di Nola
Facade - Vicolo delle
    Nozze d’Argento

Facade - Vicolo di Caecilius
    Iucundus

Street - Vicolo delle
    Nozze d’Argento

Street - Vicolo di Caecilius
    Iucundus

3D MODELS & MEASURING TOOL
INSCRIPTIONS
EXCAVATIONS
OVERALL ASSESSMENTS